John Clarke, a retired builder from Swindon, is attempting to recover after having the highest blood pressure ever recorded in the UK when admitted to A&E last week.

His woes began after he suffered a triple-whammy doing some errands, when on the same day, he not only had to visit his local pharmacy to collect his wife’s prescription, but also the post office to post a package and then the bank to transfer money into his son’s account.

‘It was only when I parked the car I got a horrible foreboding and nauseous sinking feeling,’ he told reporters. ‘To have to go to any one of these in isolation is an ordeal but all three at once was just too much. I realise this now.’

Mr Clarke then described a harrowing ordeal that saw him queuing at the pharmacy for over forty-five minutes to get to the counter, only to find that when it was his turn staff were unable to find any trace of his wife’s medication whatsoever. The matter was only resolved when the lady serving him found the prescription stuck behind a radiator in the partially-flooded basement, this in turn led to another thirty minute wait for the medication to be made up and then checked in quadruplicate, before he was told that there was ‘one item missing that would be in stock tomorrow’.

But his bad day soon got worse when he arrived at the post office. Once again there was a queue that meant another fifty-five minute wait before he got to the window only to be told that ‘the system had gone down and could he come back after lunch?’

After agreeing reluctantly to return to the post office later, the final showdown happened at the bank when he wanted to transfer £300 into his son’s account but was unable to do so as he had no photo ID with him. Despite pointing out he was trying to ‘pay money in’ and not seeking to steal money from his son’s account fraudulently, he failed to achieve his objective, falling foul of the Data Protection Act as he was unable to prove that he a) actually was his son’s father and b) that his son actually wanted £300 transferred into the account in the first place.

A heavily sedated Mr Clarke continued: ‘I went back to the car badly shaken befor I just lost it totally. I remember that I started ranting and raving at the top of my voice, and then the next thing I knew… I had woken up in A&E with all sorts of wires and tubes connected to me.’

Consumer Champion Martin Lewis commented: ‘Mr Clarke is exceptionally lucky and I urge the public, in the strongest terms possible, only ever attempt to visit these places one at a time and absolutely on different days. He’s a lucky man to still be alive.’